Here are 16 Rankin’s dragon facts
1. Rankin’s dragon is an agamid lizard and was first described in 1985. It is also known as Lawson’s dragon or Pogona Henrylawsoni, named after the Australian author, Henry Lawson. Its name is still in dispute.
2. It measures less than 30 cm in length.
3. It’s scientific name is Pogona vitticeps
4. Its scientific classification is as follows;
5. It is also called dwarf bearded dragon, dumpy dragon, pygmy dragon or the black soil bearded dragon.
6. It is native to Queensland
7. They live between six and eight years.
8. At maturity they will have grown to between 25 to 30 cm from the tip of their tail to the tip of their snout.
9. They enjoy rocky, hot and dry habitats.
10. They are known to be keen hunters and will seek out vegetation, worms and insects to consume.
11. They are avoid the attention of predators by attempting to blend into their environment with small variations in their coloring.
12. When they are threatened by a predator they use this beard to frighten them. They have the ability to darken their beard to a black streaky pattern and then they open their mouths and hiss.
13. They tend to live between 6 and 8 years.
14. They are known to carry strains of salmonella
15. They are known to be popular pets
16. They are a social species who communicate with each other in a variety of ways.