Tomatoes are a glossy red, pulpy edible fruit that is eaten as a vegetable or in salads.
It is eaten in a number of different ways such as raw, and is often used as an ingredient in many different salads, sauces, dishes and drinks.
There are many different varieties of tomato such as;
- Globe or Slicing tomatoes that are usually used for processing.
- Beefsteak tomatoes which are large and often used for sandwiches.
- Oxheart tomatoes are are shaped like large strawberries.
- Plum tomatoes are used in tomato sauce, paste and cooking. They are oblong in shape.
- Pear tomatoes are based upon San Marzano types and used for a rich gourmet paste.
- Cherry tomatoes are round and small and often used in salads.
- Grape tomatoes are small and oblong in shape and are also used in salads.
- Campari tomatoes are sweet and juicy and are larger than cherry tomatoes but less so than plum tomatoes.
Unfortunately they can’t as they are too acidic for them.